WORCESTER, Mass., April 8, 2006 - Springfield College senior Justin Freitas (East Providence, R.I.) won a thrilling #2 singles match against Clark University's Nikola Milinkovic by a score of 6-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), but it was the Cougars which defeated the Pride in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action this afternoon, 5-2.
Freitas also teamed up with freshman Andrew Constant (Kingston, N.Y.) as the two picked up a #1 doubles victory, 8-1, over Clark's Anuj Ladha and Milinkovic. Other winners on the day for SC included sophomore Guy Lepore (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and freshman Bobby Schlink (Quaker Hill, Conn.), with an 8-3 victory at #3 doubles.
At #3 singles, junior Ethan Clime (Bristol, Maine) took Clark's Adam Bisceglia to a third-set tiebreaker, winning the first set, 6-2, dropping the second set, 6-3, and falling in the tiebreaker by a 7-3 score. SC's Lepore also went the distance against Ari Robkin of the Cougars at #4 singles, but Robkin was just a little bit too much for the sophomore, winning by a margin of 6-7 (8-6), 6-2, 6-2.
The Pride falls to 2-5 overall on the season and 0-2 in the NEWMAC, as Clark improves to 3-6 and 1-1 in conference play. SC will next host the Coast Guard Academy on Wednesday afternoon, April 12th, in a 4:00 p.m. start.
The match began with doubles play.
1) Anuj Ladha (C) def. Andrew Constant (SC), 6-3, 6-4
2) Justin Freitas (SC) def. Nikola Milinkovic (C), 6-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
3) Adam Bisceglia (C) def. Ethan Clime (SC), 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
4) Ari Robkin (C) def. Guy Lepore (SC), 6-7 (8-6), 6-2, 6-2
5) Allan Breed (C) def. Jeff Crofts (SC), 6-3, 6-1
6) Ben Gross (C) def. Bobby Schlink (SC), 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
1) Constant-Freitas (SC) def. Ladha-Milinkovic (C), 8-1
2) Bisceglia-Robkin (C) def. Clime-Joe Lisi (SC), 8-5
3) Lepore-Schlink (SC) def. Brian Brown-Josh Winer (C), 8-3