WNEC fell to 2-5, after losing its third straight.
Shaw (Walpole, Mass.) and fellow senior co-captain Kyla Walgren (West Hartford, Conn.) had a stellar day, each winning a singles match, and combining for a doubles victory. Shaw won her match at No. 1 singles, defeating WNEC junior Nikki DeSimone (Feeding Hills, Mass.), 6-1, 6-1. Walgren captured her singles match at No. 3, defeating junior Caitlin Hughes (Springfield, Mass.), 7-5, 6-4. Earlier they had combined to defeat the same Golden Bear duo in doubles, 8-3.
Springfield opened by defeating WNEC in doubles, 2-1. WNEC had beaten Springfield in No. 3 doubles by a score of 8-1 for their only victory of the day. That was the combination of junior Jess Heffner (Suffield, Conn.) and senior Ashley Czelatka (Southampton, N.Y.).
Other singles victors for the homestanding Pride were sophomore Sam Carney (Franklin, Mass.) at No. 2, sophomore Erin Woodbury (Yarmouth, Me.) at No. 4, sophomore Vanessa Senecal (Seekonk, Mass.) at No. 5, and senior Kristi Maltz (Waterford, Conn.) at No. 6. Also winning at No. 2 doubles was the combination of Woodbury and sophomore Siana Green (Pomfret, Conn.)
Up next, Springfield will host NEWMAC-foe Babson this Saturday at 1 pm.
Final Score -- Springfield 8, Western New England 1
1) Amy Shaw/Kyla Walgren (SC) def. Nikki DeSimone/Caitlin Hughes (WNEC), 8-3
2) Erin Woodbury/Siana Green (SC) def. Linda Mustafa/Chrissy Barbarisi (WNEC), 8-1
3) Jess Heffner/Ashley Czelatka (WNEC) def. Kristi Maltz/Talya Pessolano (SC), 8-1
1) Amy Shaw (SC) def. Nikki DeSimone (WNEC), 6-1, 6-1
2) Sam Carney (SC) def. Chrissy Barbarisi (WNEC), 7-6(6), 6-1
3) Kyla Walgren (SC) def. Caitlin Hughes (WNEC), 7-5, 6-4
4) Erin Woodbury (SC) def. Linda Mustafa (WNEC), 6-0, 6-3
5) Vanessa Senecal (SC) def. Jess Heffner (WNEC), 6-4, 6-2
6) Kristi Maltz (SC) def. Ashley Czelatka (WNEC), 6-7(3), 6-3, (10-7)