With the win, the Beavers improved to 8-10 overall and 2-3 in NEWMAC play, and they will enter the conference tourney as the fourth seed. Babson will take on top-seeded host MIT in the semifinal round on Saturday, April 30 at 12 p.m. Springfield did not make one of the top four slots. The match was played indoors at the Boston Sports Club.
Babson opened with a sweep of doubles play, highlighted by an 8-0 victory by junior captain Danny Schneider (Littleton, Mass.) and sophomore Rushab Tanna (Burlington, Mass.) at number three.
The Beavers completed the win by taking all six singles matchups, including straight-set wins at five of the six positions. Henry won, 6-1, 6-1, at number one, Conti registered his 62nd career victory with a 6-2, 7-5 win at number two, Human cruised, 6-1, 6-2 at three, Tanna prevailed, 6-2, 6-4 at five, and first-year Ferran Arimon (Miami, Fla.) won, 6-1, 6-3, at six. Springfield (4-6 overall, 1-4 NEWMAC) received its best performance of the day at number four, where senior Eric Henne (Bristol, Conn.) forced a final set before finally falling to Schneider, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-3.
Babson College 9, Springfield College 0
Apr 23, 2011 at Babson Park, MA (Boston Sports Club)
1. Mitchell Henry (BAB) def. Ben Burnap (SPR) 6-1, 6-1
2. Austin Conti (BAB) def. Doug Nickerson (SPR) 6-2, 7-5
3. Simeon Human (BAB) def. Zach O'Leary (SPR) 6-1, 6-2
4. Danny Schneider (BAB) def. Eric Henne (SPR) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-3
5. Rushab Tanna (BAB) def. John Schrank (SPR) 6-2, 6-4
6. Ferran Arimon (BAB) def. Joe Giannelli (SPR) 6-1, 6-3
1. Mitchell Henry/Simeon Human (BAB) def. Ben Burnap/Doug Nickerson (SPR) 8-4
2. Nissim Cohen-Sabban/Austin Conti (BAB) def. Zach O'Leary/John Schrank (SPR) 8-4
3. Danny Schneider/Rushab Tanna (BAB) def. Eric Henne/Joe Giannelli (SPR) 8-0
Springfield College 4-6, 1-4 NEWMAC
Babson College 8-10, 2-3 NEWMAC