Troy, N.Y. -- September 18, 2011 -- The Rensselaer men's tennis team defeated Springfield College Sunday by a score of 8-1 at the Sharp Courts.
With the win, RPI lifts its record to 3-1, while Springfield drops to 0-2.
The highlight for the Pride came at No. 2 doubles where the team of senior Zach O'Leary (Westborough, Mass.) and freshman Kyle Mersereau (Brunswick, Me.) defeated Kyle Borton and James Kim, 8-6.
Otherwise, RPI commanded the rest of the action, Pride highlights in singles play came at No. 2 and No. 4 where Mersereau and senior Doug Nickerson (Falmouth, Me.) forced third sets.
The next dual match for Springfield College is Monday, October 3 at Western New England University at 3:30 pm.
RPI 8, Springfield 1
1) Jarrett Regier/Brandon Mazzara (RPI) def. Ben Burnap/Doug Nickerson (SC), 8-1
2) Zach O'Leary/Kyle Mersereau (SC) def. Kyle Borton/James Kim (RPI), 8-6
3) Pat Russo/Will Dickie (RPI) def. Zac Goldstein/Sean Seifert (SC), 8-1
1) Regier (RPI) def. Burnap (SC), 6-1, 6-1
2) Mazzara (RPI) def. Mersereau (SC), 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
3) Dickie (RPI) def. O'Leary (SC), 6-4, 6-2
4) Andre Vorbrodt (RPI) def. Nickerson (SC), 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
5) Kenny Weland (RPI) def. Goldstein (SC), 6-2, 6-3
6) Borton (RPI) def. Seifert (SC), 6-3, 6-3