Springfield, Mass., April 2, 2006 – Springfield College senior Justin Freitas (E. Providence, R.I.) and freshman Andrew Constant (Kingston, N.Y.) won their #1 doubles match, 8-2, over sophomores Thanos Kantarelis and Eric Hansen, but it wasn’t enough to lift the Pride over the University of Rochester Yellowjackets, as it fell, 7-0, this afternoon in a non-conference match at the Appleton Courts.
The loss drops SC to 2-2, while Rochester improves to 8-4 overall.
#1 singles proved to be a tight, well-played match, as Constant got ahead, 6-5, in the first set but fell in the tie-breaker, 7-6 (5), to Hansen. The second set didn’t provide to have nearly as much drama, as Hanson cruised to a 6-2 win to take the set and the match. Junior Ethan Clime (Bristol, Maine) competed well at #3 singles for the Pride. He fell behind, 6-1, in the first set, but staged an impressive comeback in the second set after falling behind, only to lose the set, 7-6 (1), and the match to Yellowjacket senior Eric Prince.
Rochester took the early lead, winning two of the three doubles matches, and never looked back. The Yellowjackets dominated SC top to bottom in singles play. Other winners for Rochester include sophomore Aaron Gettinger, junior Mike Burger, and freshman Jeff Titcombe.
The Pride will next host MIT on Thursday afternoon, April 6, in a 4:00 p.m. start. The game will be SC's first New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match of the 2006 season.
1) Eric Hanson (R) def. Andrew Constant (SC), 7-6 (5), 6-2
2) Thanos Kantarelis (R) def. Justin Freitas (SC), 6-1, 6-2
3) Eric Prince (R) def. Ethan Clime (SC), 6-1, 7-6 (1)
4) Guy Lepore (R) def. Aaron Gettinger (SC), 6-1, 6-1
5) Mike Burger (R) def. Jeff Crofts (SC), 6-2, 6-3
6) Jeff Titcombe (R) def. Bobby Schlink (SC), 6-1, 6-1
1) Constant-Freitas (SC) def. Hansen-Kantarelis (R), 8-2
2) Titcombe-Burger (R) def. Clime-Crofts (SC), 8-2
3) Prince-Acharya (R) def. Schlink-Lepore (SC), 9-8 (5)