The Lyons gained control of the match in the early going, taking two of the three doubles points. Sophomores Sarah London and Beatrix Hartmann got things going with an 8-0 victory at the number two slot. Meanwhile, first year Elise Marifian and sophomore Eleni Scordilis picked up a 9-8 (7-2) triumph at the number three position.
Mount Holyoke sealed things with three wins on the singles side. Earning points for the Lyons were London, Hartmann and sophomore Elizabeth Tighe. London recorded a 6-2, 6-2 victory at the number three spot, and Hartmann added a 6-4, 6-3 win at the number four position.
With just two matches still in play, Mount Holyoke held a slim 4-3 advantage. Refusing to go away, Springfield evened things up with a win at the number one slot. In the only three setter of the day, junior Melissa Weinstein (Allentown, Pa.) edged Marifian 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.
The contest came down to the fifth singles matchup between Tighe and sophomore Funmi Olowookere (Woonsocket, R.I.). Despite a strong effort by Olowookere, Tighe prevailed by a score of 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-1).
Mount Holyoke (3-5) will put the finishing touches on its season at Roger Williams University on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Springfield's (1-2) next opponent will also be Roger Williams. The Pride are slated to host the Hawks next Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.
Mount Holyoke 5, Springfield 4
1. Melissa Weinstein/Amy Shaw (SPR) def. Natalie Hsiang/Meaghan Sloane (MHC), 8-5
2. Sarah London/Beatrix Hartmann (MHC) def. Rachel Kushma/Sarah Russo (SPR), 8-0
3. Eleni Scordilis/Elise Marifian (MHC) def. Funmi Olowookere/Kyla Walgren (SPR), 9-8 (7-2)
1. Weinstein (SPR) def. Marifian (MHC), 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Shaw (SPR) def. Hsiang (MHC), 4-6, 6-2 (retired)
3. London (MHC) def. Kushma (SPR), 6-2, 6-2
4. Hartmann (MHC) def. Russo (SPR), 6-4, 6-3
5. Elizabeth Tighe (MHC) def. Olowookere (SPR), 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-1)
6. Walgren (SPR) def. Rose Cantlin (MHC), 6-0, 7-5