SPRINGFIELD, Mass., April 27, 2006 – Despite losing the doubles point, the Coast Guard Academy men’s tennis team defeated Springfield College, 4-2, this afternoon in a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) first-round post-season tournament match at Coast Guard.
With the win, fourth-seeded Coast Guard, now 10-6, advances to the second round at Wheaton College on Saturday (Apr. 29) where it will take on top-seeded MIT at 10:30 a.m. Springfield, the No. 5 seed, ends its season with a 4-8 overall mark. SC finished 1-4 in NEWMAC play, 0-1 in the NEWMAC Tourney.
Springfield began the day very promisingly by winning the lone doubles point. The Pride’s No. 2 and No. 3 doubles team were victorious. At No. 2 doubles, junior Ethan Clime (Bristol, Maine) and sophomore Joe Lisi (Southbridge, Mass.) won their match, 9-7, over Coast Guard’s David Stump and Tom Brittingham. At No. 3 doubles, sophomores Guy Lepore (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and Dave Keenan (Scarborough, Maine) won their match, 8-5, over Cheryl Hickey and Lynn Schrayshuen.
The only other point-producer for Springfield came at No. 5 singles where freshman Bobby Schlink (Quaker Hill, Conn.) defeated Brittingham, 6-1, 6-4.
Coast Guard 4, Springfield 2:
The match began with doubles play.
1) Matt Nakagawa (CG) def. Andrew Constant (SC), 7-6 (3), 6-0
2) Ryan Beck (CG) def. Justin Freitas (SC), 6-0, 4-6, 6-0
3) Cheryl Hickey (CG) def. Joe Lisi (SC), 6-1, 6-4
4) Dan Lavinder (CG) def. Ethan Clime (SC), 6-1, 6-2
5) Bobby Schlink (SC) def. Tom Brittingham (CG), 6-1, 6-4
6) Dave Keenan (SC) was leading Lynn Schrayshuen (CG), 4-2 when play was stopped
1) Nakagawa-Beck (CG) def. Constant-Freitas (SC), 8-1
2) Clime-Lisi (SC) def. Brittingham-David Stump, 9-7
3) Keenan-Guy Lepore (SC) def. Hickey-Schrayschuen (CG), 8-5