Wheaton College avenged last year's loss to Springfield with the win on the Clark Tennis Courts.
Winners of two straight matches and five of their last six, the Lyons move to 5-4 overall, while the Pride slips to 3-3. Wheaton is now 1-0 in NEWMAC play, while SC is 0-1.
After the two teams split first and third doubles, Wheaton needed a tiebreaker at number two to carry a 2-1 edge into singles action. In the second slot, senior Nii Manfoi Davies (Town & Country, Missouri) and junior Kyle Hudgins (Uxbridge, Mass.) posted a 9-8 victory over juniors Trevor Romanzi (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and Tim Tunis (Sudbury, Mass.). Wheaton sophomores Harry Altman (Riverdale, N.Y.) and Brian Krantz (Milford, Conn.) won 8-2 in the third position, while Pride seniors Andrew Constant (Kingston, N.Y.) and Bobby Schlink (Quaker Hill, Conn.) captured an 8-5 triumph in the top slot.
The hosts sealed the victory with wins by their top four singles players, including a decisive 6-1, 6-1 final from Hudgins at number three. Junior James Little (Mount Desert, Maine) won 6-3, 6-4 in the second position, freshman Neall Oliver (Portland, Maine) defeated Constant by a 7-5, 6-3 count at number one, and Altman recorded a 7-6, 6-3 victory in the fourth spot.
Final Score: Wheaton 6, Springfield 3
1) Andrew Constant/Bobby Schlink (SC) def. Neall Oliver/James Little (W), 8-5
2) Kyle Hudgins/Manfoi Davies (W) def. Trevor Romanzi/Tim Tunis (SC), 9-8
3) Harry Altman/Brian Krantz (W) def. Zach O'Leary/Eric Henne (SC), 8-2
1) Oliver (W) def. Constant (SC), 7-5, 6-3
2) Little (W) def. Romanzi (SC), 6-3, 6-4
3) Hudgins (W) def. Schlink (SC), 6-1, 6-1
4) Altman (W) def. Tunis (SC), 7-6, 6-3
5) O'Leary (SC) def. Krantz (W), 6-1, 6-4
6) Henne (SC) def. Davies (W), 7-6, 6-2