NEWPORT, R.I. -- March 31, 2007 --The Springfield College women’s tennis team won all but one set while sweeping nine matches from Salve Regina University during non-league action in Newport this afternoon.
The Pride took the first team point in quick fashion with an 8-0 decision at No. 2 doubles for Sara Russo and sophomore Melissa Weinstein (Allentown, Pa.). Senior Jenny Cameron (Belfast, Me.) and junior Shannon Desroches (Belchertown, Mass.) followed with Desroches holding serve for an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles. Freshman Danielle Lamb (Wells, Vt.) and freshman Elizabeth Slotnick (Nanuet, N.Y.) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-4 win at No. 3.
Salve Regina’s Aki Tokutake (Tokyo, Japan), playing in the No. 1 singles position for the first time in her career, came back from a 4-1 deficit to win the first set of her match with Weinstein. But Weinstein countered with a mix of topspin and backspin lobs to win the next two sets.
Desroches was pushed to a first-set tiebreak by senior Karla Cynewski (Moorestown, N.J.) at No. 2 singles, as was Cameron by sophomore Jessica Smith (Bristol, Conn.). But both Pride players prevailed in straight sets.
Salve Regina (11-3) will compete in the Wheaton College Invitational Tournament on Sunday, April 1. Springfield (4-8) next travels crosstown to play non-league rival Western New England College on Thursday, April 5.
The match began with doubles play.
Springfield 9, Salve Regina 0
1. Melissa Weinstein (SPR) def. Aki Tokutake (SRU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Shannon Desroches (SPR) def. Karla Cynewski (SRU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. Jenny Cameron (SPR) def. Jessica Smith (SRU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Danielle Lamb (SPR) def. Lindsay DelBonis (SRU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Sara Russo (SPR) def. Andrea Dell'Accio (SRU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Elizabeth Slotnick (SPR) def. Emily Ross (SRU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Jenny Cameron/Shannon Desroches (SPR) def. Karla Cynewski/Aki Tokutake (SRU) 8-6
2. Sara Russo/Melissa Weinstein (SPR) def. Jessica Smith/Jessica Timpano (SRU) 8-0
3. Danielle Lamb/Elizabeth Slotnick (SPR) def. MyLan Chu/Emily Ross (SRU) 8-4