SPRINGFIELD, Mass., October 14, 2006 – Springfield College senior Meghan Kelly (Queensbury, N.Y.) and sophomore Melissa Weinstein (Allentown, Pa.) won their No. 1 doubles match, 9-7, for Springfield’s only win of the day. After all was said and done, the Smith College women’s tennis team defeated the Pride, 8-1, this afternoon in a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest at SC’s Appleton Courts.
With the win, Smith improves its overall record to 4-4 and its NEWMAC record to 4-3. Springfield drops to an overall record of 1-7 and 0-6 in the league.
Miyu Kikuchi, a freshman from Tokyo, Japan, defeated Springfield’s Kelly, 7-5, 6-4 in No. 1 singles play. Springfield lost two close matches at No. 2 doubles when Seiko Fujii and Kikuchi beat junior Shannon Desroches (Belchertown, Mass.) and senior Jenny Cameron (Belfast, Maine), 8-6, and at No. 3 doubles when Catherine Lydecker and Talia Williams beat Jessica Sousa (Falmouth, Mass.) and Danielle Lamb (Wells, Vt.), 8-6.
Springfield will next host Clark University on Tuesday, October 19th, at 5:30 p.m. in a NEWMAC contest at Springfield’s Appleton Courts.
Smith def. Springfield, 8-1:
1) Miyu Kikuchi (SM) def. Meghan Kelly (SC), 7-5, 6-4
2) Seiku Fujii (SM) def. Melissa Weinstein (SC), 6-2, 6-0
3) Kate Johnson (SM) def. Shannon Desroches (SC), 2-6, 6-3, (10-1)
4) Catherine Lydecker (SM) def. Jess Sousa (SC), 6-4, 6-2
5) Macailagh Herman (SM) def. Jenny Cameron (SC), 6-1, 6-2
6) Alanna Dick (SM) def. Danielle Lamb (SC), 6-4, 6-2
1) Kelly/Weinstein (SC) def. Johnson/Herman (SM), 9-7
2) Fujii/Kikuchi (SM) def. Desroches/Cameron (SC), 8-6
3) Lydecker/Williams (SM) def. Sousa/Lamb (SC), 8-6
Smith 4-4, 4-3 NEWMAC
Springfield 1-7, 0-6 NEWMAC