Springfield, Mass. (October 2, 2007) -- In what amounted to a great comeback, the Mount Holyoke women's tennis team defeated Springfield College this afternoon, 6-3, at Springfield's Appleton Courts. Mount Holyoke trailed after doubles play, 3-0. The Lyons then won two singles matches to cut the margin to 3-2, but were still down one set to none in the other four singles matches. Springfield needed to win just two of those four singles matches to win the overall team match.
But Mount Holyoke came all the way back in all four to capture all six singles matches overall, and thus win the team match, 6-3. Included in the comeback was an amazing 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory by Mount Holyoke freshman Natalie Hsiang (Pittsford, N.Y.) over SC junior Melissa Weinstein (Allentown, Pa.) at No. 1 singles. Hsiang was down 4-1 in the last set, but came back to win each of the last five games.
With the win, Mount Holyoke upped its record to 2-5 overall, 1-4 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference, while Springfield fell to 2-5 overall, and 1-4 NEWMAC.
Doubles was played first.
1) Natalie Hsiang (MH) def. Melissa Weinstein (SC), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
2) Meagan Sloane (MH) def. Amy Shaw (SC), 6-2, 6-3
3) Elizabeth Tighe (MH) def. Rachel Kushma (SC), 6-2, 6-2
4) Sarah London (MH) def. Jessica Sousa (SC), 4-6, 6-3, 6-0
5) Beatrix Hartmann (MH) def. Shannon Desroches (SC), 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
6) Eleni Scordilis (MH) def. Sarah Russo (SC), 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
1) Weinstein/Shaw (SC) def. Hsiang/Sloane (MH), 8-6
2) Desroches/Sousa (SC) def. Hartmann/London (MH), 9-8 (4)
3) Danielle Lamb/Russo (SC) def. Janine Gresko/Tighe (MH), 8-6
Records: Mount Holyoke (2-5; 1-4 NEWMAC), Springfield (2-5, 1-4 NEWMAC)