With the loss, Springfield is now 6-5 overall, as it prepares for a huge conference match versus Babson this Saturday (Apr. 19) at home at 1 pm at the Appleton Courts. The winner of that particular match will earn a first-round bye in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference post-season tourney, scheduled for next week.
The Pride had taken a 2-1 lead after winning the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. The team of junior Andrew Constant (Kingston, N.Y.) and senior Joe Lisi (Southbridge, Mass.) captured their match at No. 2 by a score of 8-3. The team of junior Bobby Schlink (Quaker Hill, Conn.) and sophomore Tim Tunis (Sudbury, Mass.) won their match at No. 3 by a score of 9-7.
But it went downhill after that. Normal No. 2 singles player Lisi was rested, not playing singles.
Here are the results. Doubles was played first.
1) Fleder/Paul Kohnstamm (T) def. Bala/Romanzi (SC), 8-1
2) Constant/Lisi (SC) def. Landers/Tom Wilmanski (T), 8-3
3) Schlink/Tunis (SC) def. Wilner/Drew Frankel (T), 9-7
1) Wiliam Fleder (T) def. Andrew Constant (SC), 6-0, 6-2
2) Jake Fountain (T) def. Rahul Bala (SC), 6-3, 6-4
3) Tony Carucci (T) def. Trevor Romanzi (SC), 6-2, 6-1
4) Bryan Wilner (T) def. Bobby Schlink (SC), 6-3, 6-3
5) Daniel Landers (T) def. Tim Tunis (SC), 6-1, 6-1
6) Vinh Tran (T) def. Mike McGee ) (SC), 6-1, 6-0
Springfield's Record: 6-5